If you have not yet been to Guatemala, you are missing out. This country is beautiful and filled with amazing sites you have to visit at least once in your life. If you have the opportunity to go to Guatemala for vacation or to travel, do not pass it up – you will regret it. We have put together a list of some of the most visited and most gorgeous tourist attractions that you should be sure to stop by on your next trip to Guatemala.
- The Tikal, pictured above, is one of the more important stops to make on your trip. Tikal is an ancient Mayan citadel in the rainforest located in the north of the country. It dates back to the 1st century A.D., which makes it a very historical and important site to see. This site is iconic – the ruins of temples and palaces include the ceremonial Lost World Pyramid and the Temple of the Grand Jaguar.
- The Lake Atitlán is another very crucial stop to make. It is a huge body of water in a volcanic crater in Guatemala’s southwestern highlands. This area is known for its Mayan villages and volcanoes. The vendors in this town send traditional textiles. You can also walk along the trails and visit the butterfly garden on a former coffee plantation.
- Dulce River is a river in Guatemala, contained within the department of Izabal. If you enjoy sailing, this is the place for you because the Dulce River is part of a lake and river system that has become a popular cruising sailboat destination for tourists.
- Acatenango is a (another) stratovolcano in Guatemala. It is located pretty close to the city of Antigua, which you might be visiting as it is. The volcano has two peaks, Pico Mayor and Yepocapa. Yepocapa is also known as Tres Hermanas.
- Lake Petén Itzá is a lake in the northern Guatemala. After the Izabal Lake, it is the second largest lake in Guatemala. This is an amazing place to go see – make sure it is on your list! This is a place you will not regret visiting.
- Volcán San Pedro is a stratovolcano on the shores of Lago de Atitlán. This is in the Sololá Department of northern Guatemala. San Pedro La Laguna is at the base, and is an amazing place you might want to visit, so it makes the visit to the volcano super worth it.
- Lastly, if you’re feeling like doing something different, then go to the zoo! The Parque Zoológico La Aurora is a zoo in Guatemala City, Guatemala. The zoo has three different areas. Many different kinds of animals from Asia, The Americas and Africa can be appreciated. Make sure this is on your list if you love animals!